Wednesday 7 December 2016

Former Celtic kit man Jim McCafferty admits abusing young football players to ‘cleanse his soul’

A former football coach has come clean about the years of abuse he inflicted on young players, saying there are so many he can’t remember them all.

Former Celtic kit man Jim McCafferty, 71, confessed to a 20-year campaign of abuse during the 1980s and 90s in a bid to “unburden himself” and “cleanse his soul” after a whistleblower came forward about his behaviour.

The ailing pensioner, who now lives in South Belfast, named four players he assaulted in the 1980s and 90s while he coached at youth clubs in West Lothian and later Celtic after being approached by our sister paper the Irish Mirror.

McCafferty said: “I understand it was wrong, I was wrong and I did wrong and I am sorry.

“I have remorse. I know if I’m found guilty I will have to serve time and in my mind, I’ve said to myself that that’s what I’ll have to pay back for what I’ve done and I’m OK with that.

“I hope that will cleanse my soul. I’ll take what’s coming, there’s no getting away from it.”

He said sexual physical contact between himself and a number of the players was regular and included fondling and masturbation.

He also told how he shared naked showers with youth players after home wins and was involved in what he describes as ‘teenage orgies’ in changing rooms after matches.

During his confession he said he had sexual contact with one boy to “toughen him up”.

McCafferty said only one player he approached sexually ordered him to stop.

Despite his wide-ranging abuse McCafferty claimed he had never had unconsensual sex with any of the players.

He added: “I never raped a boy, no, nobody would even get away with that. Most clubs, most players would have been involved. It was part of the game. Without a doubt there are stacks of managers who wouldn’t have but there’s something different in the genes in me.”

Asked to explain why he felt the need to confess, he said: “Now I can take a breath again. My concern is if someone who hurts me when I’m walking down the street.”

McCafferty has offered to hand himself to the Police Service of Northern Ireland for questioning. Police Scotland have already launched an investigation into claims he abused young footballers in Scotland.

McCafferty says he hopes other people who have been in authority in football will now come forward and face their demons.

He explained: “I’m willing to face it. No one has accused me of raping them but I cannot lie.

“My mind is working overtime, it’s only natural. There are things I’ve done and I have to accept that. I read the Daily Record last week and I thought nothing has happened yet.

“But now this is about me drawing the line.

“I don’t want to hide anything. I have been haunted by what I did.

“I was lonely and they made me feel good. I wanted their company without a doubt although the greatest interest was football.”

A Celtic spokesman said: “This is an extremely serious allegation which we have immediately passed on to Police Scotland.

“We suggest any information or evidence you have should also be forwarded to police immediately.”

A spokesman for Hibs said the club hadn’t been contacted by the police concerning any allegations regarding McCafferty.

A spokesman for Fauldhouse United confirmed that McCafferty had been a coach at the club’s under sixteens side, Fauldhouse Boys Club, during the early 1980s, but said the club was aware of no allegations made against him covering that period.

Nobody at Armadale Thistle or Falkrik was able to comment after being contacted by the yesterday.

Source: UK Mirror

The post Former Celtic kit man Jim McCafferty admits abusing young football players to ‘cleanse his soul’ appeared first on BooksPEN.Com.



from Sport – BooksPEN.Com http://ift.tt/2gSjE0Z
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...